hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HADOOP-14163 proposal for new hadoop.apache.org
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2018 23:27:21 GMT
Got pinged about this offline.

Thanks for keeping at it, Marton!

I think there are two road-blocks here
 (1) Is the mechanism using which the website is built good enough - mvn-site / hugo etc?
 (2) Is the new website good enough?

For (1), I just think we need more committer attention and get feedback rapidly and get it
in.

For (2), how about we do it in a different way in the interest of progress?
 - We create a hadoop.apache.org/new-site/ where this new site goes.
 - We then modify the existing web-site to say that there is a new site/experience that folks
can click on a link and navigate to
 - As this new website matures and gets feedback & fixes, we finally pull the plug at
a later point of time when we think we are good to go.

Thoughts?

+Vinod

https://elek.github.io/hadoop-site-proposal/ and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-14163

> Please let me know what you think about it.
>

> Longer version:
>
> This thread started long time ago to use a more modern hadoop site:
>
> Goals were:
>
> 1. To make it easier to manage it (the release entries could be created by a script as
part of the release process)
> 2. To use a better look-and-feel
> 3. Move it out from svn to git
>
> I proposed to:
>
> 1. Move the existing site to git and generate it with hugo (which is a single, standalone
binary)
> 2. Move both the rendered and source branches to git.
> 3. (Create a jenkins job to generate the site automatically)
>
> NOTE: this is just about forrest based hadoop.apache.org, NOT about the documentation
which is generated by mvn-site (as before)

> I got multiple valuable feedback and I improved the proposed site according to the comments.
Allen had some concerns about the used technologies (hugo vs. mvn-site) and I answered all
the questions why I think mvn-site is the best for documentation and hugo is best for generating
site.

> I would like to finish this effort/jira: I would like to start a discussion about using
this proposed version and approach as a new site of Apache Hadoop. Please let me know what
you think.