hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Elek, Marton" <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HADOOP-14163 proposal for new hadoop.apache.org
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2018 19:00:17 GMT

Thank you very much to bump up this thread.

About [2]: (Just for the clarification) the content of the proposed
website is exactly the same as the old one.

About [1]. I believe that the "mvn site" is perfect for the
documentation but for website creation there are more simple and
powerful tools.

Hugo has more simple compared to jekyll. Just one binary, without
dependencies, works everywhere (mac, linux, windows)

Hugo has much more powerful compared to "mvn site". Easier to create/use
more modern layout/theme, and easier to handle the content (for example
new release announcements could be generated as part of the release
process)

I think it's very low risk to try out a new approach for the site (and
easy to rollback in case of problems)

Marton

ps: I just updated the patch/preview site with the recent releases:

***************************
* http://hadoop.anzix.net *
***************************

On 06/21/2018 01:27 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli wrote:
> Got pinged about this offline.
>
> Thanks for keeping at it, Marton!
>
> I think there are two road-blocks here
>   (1) Is the mechanism using which the website is built good enough - mvn-site / hugo
etc?
>   (2) Is the new website good enough?
>
> For (1), I just think we need more committer attention and get feedback rapidly and get
it in.

> For (2), how about we do it in a different way in the interest of progress?
>   - We create a hadoop.apache.org/new-site/ where this new site goes.
>   - We then modify the existing web-site to say that there is a new site/experience that
folks can click on a link and navigate to
>   - As this new website matures and gets feedback & fixes, we finally pull the plug
at a later point of time when we think we are good to go.

https://elek.github.io/hadoop-site-proposal/ and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-14163

>> Please let me know what you think about it.
>>

>> Longer version:
>>
>> This thread started long time ago to use a more modern hadoop site:
>>
>> Goals were:
>>
>> 1. To make it easier to manage it (the release entries could be created by a script
as part of the release process)
>> 2. To use a better look-and-feel
>> 3. Move it out from svn to git
>>
>> I proposed to:
>>
>> 1. Move the existing site to git and generate it with hugo (which is a single, standalone
binary)
>> 2. Move both the rendered and source branches to git.
>> 3. (Create a jenkins job to generate the site automatically)
>>
>> NOTE: this is just about forrest based hadoop.apache.org, NOT about the documentation
which is generated by mvn-site (as before)

>> I got multiple valuable feedback and I improved the proposed site according to the
comments. Allen had some concerns about the used technologies (hugo vs. mvn-site) and I answered
all the questions why I think mvn-site is the best for documentation and hugo is best for
generating site.

>> I would like to finish this effort/jira: I would like to start a discussion about
using this proposed version and approach as a new site of Apache Hadoop. Please let me know
what you think.