hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Templeton <dan...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: When are incompatible changes acceptable (HDFS-12990)
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2018 04:32:59 GMT
The intent of the compat guidelines is to prevent developers from making
incompatible "improvements" at inconvenient times.  The guidelines offer
some wiggle room for the cases where something truly broken is being
fixed, especially for the sake of compatibility.  I would say that in
this case, making the change is the right thing to do, but there needs
to be a plan for how to deal with the fact that the 3.0.0 release will
forever be an odd outlier with respect to NN ports.

Daniel