hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0 RC1
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2017 02:12:53 GMT
Yes, JIRAs will be filed, the wiki-page idea from YARN meetup is to record all combinations
of testing that need to be done and correspondingly capture all the testing that someone in
the community has already done and record it for future perusal.

From what you are saying, I guess we haven't advertised to the public yet on rolling upgrades,
but in our meetups etc so far, you have been saying that rolling upgrades is supported - so
I assumed we did put it in our messaging.

The important question is if we are or are not allowed to make potentially incompatible changes
to fix bugs in the process of supporting 2.x to 3.x upgrades whether rolling or not.

+Vinod

> On Dec 13, 2017, at 1:05 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> I'm hoping we can address YARN-7588 and any remaining rolling upgrade issues in 3.0.x
maintenance releases. Beyond a wiki page, it would be really great to get JIRAs filed and
targeted for tracking as soon as possible.

> Vinod, what do you think we need to do regarding caveating rolling upgrade support? We
haven't advertised rolling upgrade support between major releases outside of dev lists and
JIRA. As a new major release, our compat guidelines allow us to break compatibility, so I
don't think it's expected by users.