hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Akira Ajisaka <aajis...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0 RC0
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2017 05:14:44 GMT

CHANGES files were removed by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-11792

 >   - Even after "mvn install"ing once, shading is repeated again and again for every
new 'mvn install' even though there are no source changes - we should see how this can be
avoided.

Shading can be avoided by -DskipShade option and the option is documented in BUILDING.txt.

Regards,
Akira

On 2017/11/21 10:26, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli wrote:
> Thanks for all the push, Andrew!
>
> Looking at the RC. Went through my usual check-list. Here's my summary. Will cast my
final vote after comparing and validating my findings with others.

> Verification
>
>   - [Check] Successful recompilation from source tar-ball
>   - [Check] Signature verification
>   - [Check] Generating dist tarballs from source tar-ball
>   - [Check] Testing
>      -- Start NN, DN, RM, NM, JHS, Timeline Service
>      -- Ran dist-shell example, MR sleep, wordcount, randomwriter, sort, grep, pi
>      -- Tested CLIs to print nodes, apps etc and also navigated UIs
>
> Issues found during testing
>
> Major
>   - The previously supported way of being able to use different tar-balls for different
sub-modules is completely broken - common and HDFS tar.gz are completely empty.
>   - Cannot enable new UI in YARN because it is under a non-default compilation flag.
It should be on by default.
>   - One decommissioned node in YARN ResourceManager UI always appears to start with,
even when there are no NodeManagers that are started yet:  Info <IP>:-1, DECOMMISSIONED,
null rack. It shows up only in the UI though, not in the CLI node -list

> Minor
>   - resourcemanager-metrics.out is going into current directory instead of log directory
>   - $HADOOP_YARN_HOME/sbin/yarn-daemon.sh start historyserver doesn't even work. Not
just deprecated in favor of timelineserver as was advertised.
>   - Spurious warnings on CLI
>              17/11/20 17:07:34 INFO conf.Configuration: resource-types.xml not found
>              17/11/20 17:07:34 INFO resource.ResourceUtils: Unable to find 'resource-types.xml'.
>
> Side notes
>
>   - When did we stop putting CHANGES files into the source artifacts?
>   - Even after "mvn install"ing once, shading is repeated again and again for every new
'mvn install' even though there are no source changes - we should see how this can be avoided.
>   - Compatibility notes
>      -- NM's env list is curtailed unlike in 2.x (For e.g, HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME is not
automatically inherited. Correct behavior)