hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Merging HDFS-7240 Object Store (Ozone) to trunk
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2017 20:08:10 GMT

> On Nov 3, 2017, at 12:08 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Konstantin Shvachko <shv.hadoop@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It is an interesting question whether Ozone should be a part of Hadoop.
>
> I don't see a direct answer to this question. Is there one? Pardon me if
> I've not seen it but I'm interested in the response.

	+1

	Given:

	* a completely different set of config files (ozone-site.xml, etc)
	* package name is org.apache.hadoop.ozone, not org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.ozone

	… it doesn’t really seem to want to be part of HDFS, much less Hadoop.

Plus hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs is already a battle zone when it comes to unit tests,
dependencies, etc [*]

	At a minimum, it should at least be using it’s own maven module for a lot of the bits that
generates it’s own maven jars so that we can split this functionality up at build/test time.

	At a higher level, this feels a lot like the design decisions that were made around yarn-native-services.
 This feature is either part of HDFS or it’s not. Pick one.  Doing both is incredibly confusing
for everyone outside of the branch.