hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Hadoop qbt Report: branch2+JDK7 on Linux/x86
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2017 21:55:13 GMT
Sean/Junping-

Ignoring the epistemology, it's a problem. Let's figure out what's
causing memory to balloon and then we can work out the appropriate
remedy.

Is this reproducible outside the CI environment? To Junping's point,
would YETUS-561 provide more detailed information to aid debugging? -C

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> In general, the "solid evidence" of memory leak comes from analysis of heapdump, jastack,
gc log, etc. In many cases, we can locate/conclude which piece of code are leaking memory
from the analysis.

> Unfortunately, I cannot find any conclusion from previous comments and it even cannot
tell which daemons/components of HDFS consumes unexpected high memory. Don't sounds like a
solid bug report to me.

> Thanks,?
>

> Junping
>

> ________________________________

that the memory leak is within HDFS test code rather than library runtime code? How would
such a distinction be shown?

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com<mailto:jdu@hortonworks.com>>
wrote:
> Allen,
>      Do we have any solid evidence to show the HDFS unit tests going through the roof
are due to serious memory leak by HDFS? Normally, I don't expect memory leak are identified
in our UTs - mostly, it (test jvm gone) is just because of test or deployment issues.
>      Unless there is concrete evidence, my concern on seriously memory leak for HDFS
on 2.8 is relatively low given some companies (Yahoo, Alibaba, etc.) have deployed 2.8 on
large production environment for months. Non-serious memory leak (like forgetting to close
stream in non-critical path, etc.) and other non-critical bugs always happens here and there
that we have to live with.

yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Apache Hadoop qbt Report: branch2+JDK7 on Linux/x86
>
>> On Oct 23, 2017, at 12:50 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@effectivemachines.com<mailto:aw@effectivemachines.com>>
wrote:

>> With no other information or access to go on, my current hunch is that one of the
HDFS unit tests is ballooning in memory size.  The easiest way to kill a Linux machine is
to eat all of the RAM, thanks to overcommit and that's what this "feels" like.

>> Someone should verify if 2.8.2 has the same issues before a release goes out ...
>

>         FWIW, I ran 2.8.2 last night and it has the same problems.
>
>         Also: the node didn't die!  Looking through the workspace (so the next run will
destroy them), two sets of logs stand out:

> https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt-branch2-java7-linux-x86/ws/out/patch-unit-hadoop-hdfs-project_hadoop-hdfs.txt
>
>                                                         and
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt-branch2-java7-linux-x86/ws/sourcedir/hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/
>
>         It looks like my hunch is correct:  RAM in the HDFS unit tests are going through
the roof.  It's also interesting how MANY log files there are.  Is surefire not picking up
that jobs are dying?  Maybe not if memory is getting tight.

>         Anyway, at the point, branch-2.8 and higher are probably fubar'd. Additionally,
I've filed YETUS-561 so that Yetus-controlled Docker containers can have their RAM limits
set in order to prevent more nodes going catatonic.