hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: stringifyException
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2017 18:29:59 GMT

> On 12 Oct 2017, at 21:20, Owen O'Malley <owen.omalley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It is a very old relic from when logging the exception just gave you the
> message. It can should be replaced at some point.

I was staring at the code in org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Task about ten minutes ago thinking
exactly that.

Though I was also thinking "I wonder when the whole or MRv1 could be removed" and "won't 'doAs()
be simpler if all moved to Java-8 lambda expressions"

Doing things about logging is probably the easiest. mapred.Task and friends are still on org.apache.commons.logging.Log
too, so maybe they could be cleaned up *very, very carefully, one file at a time*