hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Busbey"<bus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Can we make our precommit test robust to dependency changes while staying usable?
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2017 20:59:38 GMT

On 2017-09-14 15:36, Chris Douglas <cdouglas@apache.org> wrote:
> This has gotten bad enough that people are dismissing legitimate test
> failures among the noise.
>
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Allen Wittenauer
> <aw@effectivemachines.com> wrote:
> >         Someone should probably invest some time into integrating the HBase flaky
test code a) into Yetus and then b) into Hadoop.

> What does the HBase flaky test code do? Another extension to
> test-patch could run all new/modified tests multiple times, and report
> to JIRA if any run fails.

The current HBase stuff segregates untrusted tests by looking through nightly test runs to
find things that fail intermittently. We then don't include those tests in either nightly
or precommit tests. We have a different job that just runs the untrusted tests and if they
start passing removes them from the list.

There's also a project getting used by SOLR called "BeastIT" that goes through running parallel
copies of a given test a large number of times to reveal flaky tests.

Getting either/both of those into Yetus and used here would be a huge improvement.