hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Templeton <dan...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.8.2 (RC0)
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2017 23:45:10 GMT
YARN-6622 is now committed to 2.9.  We could backport YARN-5258 and
YARN-6622 for 2.8, but it'll take some editing.  We'll have to check to
see what features are unsupported in 2.8 and remove those from the
docs.  Not a huge effort overall, though.  Probably a hour's work.  I
may have time to try do it later this week.  Anyone else want to volunteer?

Daniel

On 9/11/17 3:01 PM, Chris Douglas wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> I don't think this -1 is reasonable, because:
>> - If you look at YARN-6622 closely, it targets to fix a problematic documentation
work on YARN-5258 which get checked into 2.9 and 3.0 branch only. It means it targets to fix
a problem that 2.8.2 never exists.
> ...we're not going to document security implications- which include
> escalations to root- because we don't have _any_ documentation? Why
> don't we backport the documentation?
>
>> - New docker container support (replace of old DockerContainerExectutor) is still
an alpha feature now which doesn't highlight in 2.8 major features/improvement (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.8.0/index.html).
So adding documentation here is also not a blocker.

yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org; junping_du
>> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.8.2 (RC0)
>>
>> -1 (binding)
>>
>> I don't think we should release this without YARN-6622.
>>
>> Since this doesn't happen often: a -1 in this case is NOT a veto.
>> Releases are approved by majority vote of the PMC. -C
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks Mikols for notifying on this. I think docker support is general known
as alpha feature so document it as experimental is nice to have but not a blocker for 2.8.2.
I also noticed that our 2.7.x document (https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.4/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/DockerContainerExecutor.html)
without mentioning docker support is experimental. We may need to fix that as well in following
releases.

>>> I can also add it (mentioning docker container support feature is experimental)
to release message in public website just like previous release we call 2.7.0/2.8.0 as non-production
release.

>>> I think vote should continue until we could find a real blocker.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Junping
>>>

>>> ________________________________

Document Docker work as experimental".

>>> Thank you,
>>> Miklos
>>>

>>> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Mingliang Liu <liuml07@gmail.com<mailto:liuml07@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> Thanks Junping for doing this!
>>>
>>> +1 (non-binding)
>>>
>>> - Download the hadoop-2.8.2-src.tar.gz file and checked the md5 value
>>> - Build package using maven (skipping tests) with Java 8
>>> - Spin up a test cluster in Docker containers having 1 master node (NN/RM) and
3 slave nodes (DN/NM)
>>> - Operate the basic HDFS/YARN operations from command line, both client and admin
>>> - Check NN/RM Web UI
>>> - Run distcp to copy files from/to local and HDFS
>>> - Run hadoop mapreduce examples: grep and wordcount
>>> - Check the HDFS service logs
>>>
>>> All looked good to me.
>>>
>>> Mingliang

will be the latest stable/production release for Apache Hadoop - it includes 305 new fixed
issues since 2.8.1 and 63 fixes are marked as blocker/critical issues.

e6597fe3000b06847d2bf55f2bab81770f4b2505

at: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1062

days, ending on 09/15/2017 5pm PST time.