hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.8.2 (RC0)
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2017 22:01:04 GMT
On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I don't think this -1 is reasonable, because:
> - If you look at YARN-6622 closely, it targets to fix a problematic documentation work
on YARN-5258 which get checked into 2.9 and 3.0 branch only. It means it targets to fix a
problem that 2.8.2 never exists.

...we're not going to document security implications- which include
escalations to root- because we don't have _any_ documentation? Why
don't we backport the documentation?

> - New docker container support (replace of old DockerContainerExectutor) is still an
alpha feature now which doesn't highlight in 2.8 major features/improvement (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.8.0/index.html).
So adding documentation here is also not a blocker.

YARN-6622 is *documenting* the fact that this is an alpha feature and
that it shouldn't be enabled in secure environments. How are users
supposed to make this determination without it?

> Vote still continue until a real blocker comes.

Soright. I remain -1. -C

yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org; junping_du
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.8.2 (RC0)
>
> -1 (binding)
>
> I don't think we should release this without YARN-6622.
>
> Since this doesn't happen often: a -1 in this case is NOT a veto.
> Releases are approved by majority vote of the PMC. -C
>
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Mikols for notifying on this. I think docker support is general known as alpha
feature so document it as experimental is nice to have but not a blocker for 2.8.2. I also
noticed that our 2.7.x document (https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.4/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/DockerContainerExecutor.html)
without mentioning docker support is experimental. We may need to fix that as well in following
releases.

>> I can also add it (mentioning docker container support feature is experimental) to
release message in public website just like previous release we call 2.7.0/2.8.0 as non-production
release.

>> I think vote should continue until we could find a real blocker.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Junping
>>

>> ________________________________

Document Docker work as experimental".

>> Thank you,
>> Miklos
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Mingliang Liu <liuml07@gmail.com<mailto:liuml07@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> Thanks Junping for doing this!
>>
>> +1 (non-binding)
>>
>> - Download the hadoop-2.8.2-src.tar.gz file and checked the md5 value
>> - Build package using maven (skipping tests) with Java 8
>> - Spin up a test cluster in Docker containers having 1 master node (NN/RM) and 3
slave nodes (DN/NM)
>> - Operate the basic HDFS/YARN operations from command line, both client and admin
>> - Check NN/RM Web UI
>> - Run distcp to copy files from/to local and HDFS
>> - Run hadoop mapreduce examples: grep and wordcount
>> - Check the HDFS service logs
>>
>> All looked good to me.
>>
>> Mingliang
>>
>>> On Sep 10, 2017, at 5:00 PM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com<mailto:jdu@hortonworks.com>>
wrote:

>>> Hi folks,
>>>     With fix of HADOOP-14842 get in, I've created our first release candidate
(RC0) for Apache Hadoop 2.8.2.

>>>     Apache Hadoop 2.8.2 is the first stable release of Hadoop 2.8 line and will
be the latest stable/production release for Apache Hadoop - it includes 305 new fixed issues
since 2.8.1 and 63 fixes are marked as blocker/critical issues.

at: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1062

>>>      Please try the release and vote; the vote will run for the usual 5 days,
ending on 09/15/2017 5pm PST time.