hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Apache Hadoop 2.8.2 Release Plan
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2017 17:41:11 GMT
One thing we need to consider is

HADOOP-14439: regression: secret stripping from S3x URIs breaks some downstream code

Hadoop 2.8 has a best-effort attempt to strip out secrets from the toString() value of an
s3a or s3n path where someone has embedded them in the URI; this has caused problems in some
uses, specifically: when people use secrets this way (bad) and assume that you can round trip
paths to string and back

Should we fix this? If so, Hadoop 2.8.2 is the time to do it

> On 1 Sep 2017, at 11:14, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> HADOOP-14814 get committed and HADOOP-9747 get push out to 2.8.3, so we are clean on
blocker/critical issues now.
> I finish practice of going through JACC report and no more incompatible public API changes
get found between 2.8.2 and 2.7.4. Also I check commit history and fixed 10+ commits which
are missing from branch-2.8.2 for some reason. So, the current branch-2.8.2 should be good
to go for RC stage, and I will kick off our first RC tomorrow.
> In the meanwhile, please don't land any commits to branch-2.8.2 since now. If some issues
really belong to blocker, please ping me on the JIRA before doing any commits. branch-2.8
is still open for landing. Thanks for your cooperation!

> Thanks,
>
> Junping

As always, we will rely on test/verify efforts from community especially from large deployed
production cluster - as far as I know,  there are already several companies. like: Yahoo!,
Alibaba, etc. already deploy 2.8 release in large production clusters for months which give
me more confidence on 2.8.2.

> Here is more update on 2.8.2 release:
>
> Blocker issues:
>
>    -  A new blocker YARN-7076 get reported and fixed by Jian He through last weekend.
>
>    -  Another new blocker - HADOOP-14814 get identified from my latest jdiff run against
2.7.4. The simple fix on an incompatible API change should get commit soon.

> Critical issues:
>
>    -  YARN-7083 already get committed. Thanks Jason for reporting the issue and delivering
the fix.

>    -  YARN-6091 get push out from 2.8.2 as issue is not a regression and pending for
a while.

>    -  Daryn is actively working on HADOOP-9747 for a while, and the patch are getting
close to be committed. However, according to Daryn, the patch seems to cause some regression
in some corner cases in secured environment (Storm auto tgt, etc.). May need some additional
watch/review on this JIRA's fixes.

> My monitoring JACC report between 2.8.2 and 2.7.4 will get finish tomorrow. If everything
is going smoothly, I am planning to kick off RC0 around holiday (this weekend).

> Thanks,
>

> ​Junping
>

> ________________________________

Or Dynamometer testing (anybody from linked-in can help)..?

> @Junping Du<mailto:jdu@hortonworks.com>,Please correct me,if I am wrong.
>

> --Brahma Reddy Battula
> ________________________________

a bit more time (~2 weeks) to get fixed. Let's working towards first production GA release
of Apache Hadoop 2.8 - let me know if you have any thoughts or comments.

> Cheers,
>
> Junping

commits to go for 2.8.2 release (only important and low risk bug fixes), please commit to
trunk, branch-2, branch-2.8 and branch-2.8.2. For unimportant or high risk bug fixes/improvements,
please commit to branch-2.8 (trunk/branch-2) only and mark JIRA fixed as 2.8.3. Thanks for
your cooperation!

yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org; Jason Lowe; humbedooh@apache.org
> Subject: Re: Apache Hadoop 2.8.2 Release Plan
>

> Nice catch, Brahma. Actually, this is not supposed to be happen as we all should know
the patch should firstly get landed on branch-2.8 (as well as trunk, branch-2) before landed
on branch-2.8.2. Anyway, we will always check JIRAs claim to fixed in a specific release version
with commits actually landing on the releasing branch before kicking off RC. So, I am not
too worry about this mistaking behaviors as it happens in every releases.

> If no other concerns, I will do the branch update in next 30 minutes.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Junping
>

> ________________________________

and HADOOP-13867 ) in branch-2.8.I just pushed this two commits.Hope we'll not miss any commits
which present in only in branch-2.8.2.

> ________________________________

Sunday (7/23).

> Thanks,
>
> Junping

things go. We can just continue to commit on branch-2.8 for now.

> I also think we should just follow up with ASF INFRA and clean up the branches
> - Delete branch-2.8.2 so that we can recreate it afresh a little later.
> - branch-2.8.1 is also stale and it should be deleted. branch-2.8.1-private should be
renamed to branch-2.8.1

> Thanks
> +Vinod
>
>> On Jul 21, 2017, at 11:23 AM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for suggestions, Jason and Kihwal!
>> +1 on releasing 2.8.2 on latest branch-2.8 too. Practically, if branch-2.8.2 cannot
be abandoned/replaced (suspect all branches are read-only now), I will manually merge all
commits that not landed on 2.8.2 yet.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Junping

branch-2.8.2 was cut so long ago it is missing a lot of fixes that are in branch-2.8.  There
also are a lot of JIRAs that claim they are fixed in 2.8.2 but are not in branch-2.8.2.  Having
the 2.8.2 release be based on recent activity in branch-2.8 would solve both of these issues,
and we'd only need to move the handful of JIRAs that have marked themselves correctly as fixed
in 2.8.3 to be fixed in 2.8.2.

>> Jason
>>

>>   On Friday, July 21, 2017 10:01 AM, Kihwal Lee <kihwal@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
wrote:

>> Thanks for driving the next 2.8 release, Junping. While I was committing a blocker
for 2.7.4, I noticed some of the jiras are back-ported to 2.7, but missing in branch-2.8.2.
 Perhaps it is safer and easier to simply rebranch 2.8.2.
>> Thanks,Kihwal
>>
>> On Thursday, July 20, 2017, 3:32:16 PM CDT, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com>
wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>   Per Vinod's previous email, we just announce Apache Hadoop 2.8.1 get released today
which is a special security release. Now, we should work towards 2.8.2 release which aim for
production deployment. The focus obviously is to fix blocker/critical issues [2], bug-fixes
and *no* features / improvements. We currently have 13 blocker/critical issues, and 10 of
them are Patch Available.

>> I plan to cut an RC in a month - target for releasing before end of Aug., to give
enough time for outstanding blocker / critical issues. Will start moving out any tickets that
are not blockers and/or won't fit the timeline. For progress of releasing effort, please refer
our release wiki [2].

>> Please share thoughts if you have any. Thanks!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Junping
>>
>> [1] 2.8.2 release Blockers/Criticals: https://s.apache.org/JM5x
> Issue Navigator - ASF JIRA<https://s.apache.org/JM5x>
> s.apache.org
> Linked Applications. Loading… Dashboards
>

>> [2] 2.8 Release wiki: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Hadoop+2.8+Release
> Hadoop 2.8 Release - Hadoop - Apache Software Foundation<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Hadoop+2.8+Release>
> cwiki.apache.org
> Release schedule. It has been over 1 year since last minor release 2.7.0, so we plan
to release Hadoop 2.8.0 as soon as we can. Per discussions on community threads ...

http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html#Download
> Apache Hadoop Releases<http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html#Download>
> hadoop.apache.org
> To verify Hadoop releases using GPG: Download the release hadoop-X.Y.Z-src.tar.gz from
a mirror site. Download the signature file hadoop-X.Y.Z-src.tar ...

> Apache Hadoop Releases<http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html#Download>
> Apache Hadoop Releases<http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html#Download>
> hadoop.apache.org
> To verify Hadoop releases using GPG: Download the release hadoop-X.Y.Z-src.tar.gz from
a mirror site. Download the signature file hadoop-X.Y.Z-src.tar ...

> hadoop.apache.org
> To verify Hadoop releases using GPG: Download the release hadoop-X.Y.Z-src.tar.gz from
a mirror site. Download the signature file hadoop-X.Y.Z-src.tar ...

>> This is a security release in the 2.8.0 release line. It consists of 2.8.0 plus security
fixes. Users on 2.8.0 are encouraged to upgrade to 2.8.1.

>> Please note that 2.8.x release line continues to be not yet ready for production
use. Critical issues are being ironed out via testing and downstream adoption. Production
users should wait for a subsequent release in the 2.8.x line.