hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Templeton <dan...@cloudera.com>
Subject DISCUSS: Hadoop Compatability Guidelines
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2017 16:01:16 GMT
All, in prep for Hadoop 3 beta 1 I've been working on updating the
compatibility guidelines on HADOOP-13714.  I think the initial doc is
more or less complete, so I'd like to open the discussion up to the
broader Hadoop community.

In the new guidelines, I have drawn some lines in the sand regarding
compatibility between releases.  In some cases these lines are more
restrictive than the current practices.  The intent with the new
guidelines is not to limit progress by restricting what goes into a
release, but rather to drive release numbering to keep in line with the
reality of the code.

Please have a read and provide feedback on the JIRA.  I'm sure there are
more than a couple of areas that could be improved.  If you'd rather not
read markdown from a diff patch, I've attached PDFs of the two modified
docs.

Thanks!
Daniel