hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: why the doxia-snapshot dependency
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2017 15:47:29 GMT

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 7:20 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>

> Every morning my laptop downloads the doxia 1.8 snapshot for its build

….

> This implies that the build isn't reproducible, which isn't that bad for a short-lived
dev branch, but not what we want for any releases

	This version of doxia includes an upgraded version of the markdown processor.  Combined with
the upgraded maven-site-plugin, fixes two very important bugs:

	* MUCH better handling of URLs.  Older versions would exit with failure if it hit hdfs://
as a URL, despite being perfectly legal. [I’ve been "hand-fixing” release notes and the
like to avoid hitting this one.]
	* Parser doesn’t have the infinite loop bug when it hit certain combinations of broken
markdown, usually tables.

	I agree that it’s… less than ideal.

	When I wrote the original version of that patch months ago, I was hoping it was a stop-gap.
 Worst case, we publish our own version of the plugin.  But given that users will be empowered
to fetch their own notes at build time, I felt it was important that this be more bullet proof…