hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: Are binary artifacts are part of a release?
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2017 02:38:22 GMT

... that doesn't contradict anything I said.

> On Jul 31, 2017, at 7:23 PM, Konstantin Shvachko <shv.hadoop@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The issue was discussed on several occasions in the past.
> Took me a while to dig this out as an example:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201111.mbox/%3C4EB0827C.6040204%40apache.org%3E
>
> Doug Cutting:
> "Folks should not primarily evaluate binaries when voting. The ASF primarily produces
and publishes source-code
> so voting artifacts should be optimized for evaluation of that."
>
> Thanks,
> --Konst
>
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 4:51 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@effectivemachines.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 31, 2017, at 4:18 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:
> >
> > Forking this off to not distract from release activities.
> >
> > I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-323 to get clarity on the matter.
I read the entire webpage, and it could be improved one way or the other.

>         IANAL, my read has always lead me to believe:
>
>                 * An artifact is anything that is uploaded to dist.a.o and repository.a.o
>                 * A release consists of one or more artifacts ("Releases are, by definition,
anything that is published beyond the group that owns it. In our case, that means any publication
outside the group of people on the product dev list.")
>                 * One of those artifacts MUST be source
>                 * (insert voting rules here)
>                 * They must be built on a machine in control of the RM
>                 * There are no exceptions for alpha, nightly, etc
>                 * (various other requirements)
>
>                 i.e., release != artifact .... it's more like release = artifact * n
.

>         Do you have to have binaries?  No (e.g., Apache SpamAssassin has no binaries
to create).  But if you place binaries in dist.a.o or repository.a.o, they are effectively
part of your release and must follow the same rules.  (Votes, etc.)