hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: test failures - newbie help needed
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2017 12:04:08 GMT
some of this looks network related. Ubuntu often makes a mess of the loopback address of localhost:
find the localhost entry in /etc/hosts and change it to 127.0.0.1 and see if that helps

otherwise, the hdfs-dev list is the one to really ping about HDFS issues, which all of these
appear to be. Mostly related to XAttrs, interestingly enough

Pick one isolated test, like testWebHDFSXAttr#FSXAttrBaseTest.testListXAttr ; run it with
the log4j.properties in hdfs src/test/resources set to log org.apache.hadoop at debug and
see what is going on underneath. That's generally how I start debugging test failures, before
switching to the IDE and stepping through.

Good luck

Steve

PS if it makes you feel any better, staring a test run failures is a core skill of all Hadoop
developers

> On 16 Mar 2017, at 10:33, Simon Scott <Simon.Scott@viavisolutions.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Please excuse me. I am new to building Hadoop. I am attempting to build and run tests
for the trunk and encountering a series of test failures which for sure indicates that I am
doing something wrong. I have scoured the wiki and can't see what I'm missing. Can anybody
offer any advice?

> I am running the tests in Ubuntu 14.04 hosted in VirtualBox on Windows 8.1 host.
>
> Using this command: "mvn clean test"
>
> List of failed tests below.
>
> Many thanks
> Simon
>
> Failed tests:
>  TestHDFSFileSystemContract>FileSystemContractBaseTest.testRenameDirectoryAsExistingDirectory:536
Renamed nested file1 exists
>  TestTrashWithEncryptionZones.testDeleteEZWithMultipleUsers:164 Non-admin could delete
an encryption zone with multiple users : /zones/zone1 expected:<1> but was:<0>
>  TestDataNodeVolumeFailure.testFailedVolumeBeingRemovedFromDataNode:247 expected:<1>
but was:<2>
>  TestFileContextXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testUnreadableBySuperuserXAttr:1142->FSXAttrBaseTest.access$000:67->FSXAttrBaseTest.doTestUnreadableBySuperuserXAttr:1158->FSXAttrBaseTest.doTUBSXAInt:1213->FSXAttrBaseTest.verifyFileAccess:1241
open failed but expected it to succeed
>  TestFileContextXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testRawXAttrs:1024 setXAttr should have thrown
>  TestFileContextXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testListXAttrs:820 expected IOException
>  TestFileContextXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testGetXAttrs:458 expected IOException
>  TestNameNodeXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testUnreadableBySuperuserXAttr:1142->FSXAttrBaseTest.access$000:67->FSXAttrBaseTest.doTestUnreadableBySuperuserXAttr:1158->FSXAttrBaseTest.doTUBSXAInt:1213->FSXAttrBaseTest.verifyFileAccess:1241
open failed but expected it to succeed
>  TestNameNodeXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testRawXAttrs:1024 setXAttr should have thrown
>  TestNameNodeXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testListXAttrs:820 expected IOException
>  TestNameNodeXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testGetXAttrs:458 expected IOException
>  TestNamenodeCapacityReport.testXceiverCount:198->testXceiverCountInternal:344 Test
resulted in an unexpected exit
>  TestEncryptionZonesWithKMS>TestEncryptionZones.testGetEZAsNonSuperUser:581 expected
AccessControlException
>  TestEncryptionZonesWithKMS>TestEncryptionZones.testBasicOperations:441 createEncryptionZone
is superuser-only operation
>  TestReservedRawPaths.testAdminAccessOnly:262 access to /.reserved/raw is superuser-only
operation
>  TestDFSShell.testSetXAttrPermission:2992 Returned should be 1 expected:<1> but
was:<0>
>  TestWebHDFSXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testUnreadableBySuperuserXAttr:1142->FSXAttrBaseTest.access$000:67->FSXAttrBaseTest.doTestUnreadableBySuperuserXAttr:1158->FSXAttrBaseTest.doTUBSXAInt:1213->FSXAttrBaseTest.verifyFileAccess:1241
open failed but expected it to succeed
>  TestWebHDFSXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testRawXAttrs:1024 setXAttr should have thrown
>  TestWebHDFSXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testListXAttrs:820 expected IOException
>  TestWebHDFSXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testGetXAttrs:458 expected IOException
>  TestWebHdfsFileSystemContract>FileSystemContractBaseTest.testRenameDirectoryAsExistingDirectory:536
Renamed nested file1 exists
>  TestEncryptionZones.testGetEZAsNonSuperUser:581 expected AccessControlException
>  TestEncryptionZones.testBasicOperations:441 createEncryptionZone is superuser-only operation
>
> Tests in error:
>  TestRBWBlockInvalidation.testBlockInvalidationWhenRBWReplicaMissedInDN:122 >  ...
>  TestDataNodeVolumeFailure.tearDown:142->Object.wait:-2 >  test timed out after...
>  TestDataNodeVolumeFailureReporting.tearDown:109->Object.wait:-2 >  test timed
>  TestDataNodeVolumeFailureReporting.tearDown:109 >  test timed out after 120000...
>  TestDataNodeVolumeFailureReporting.tearDown:109 >  test timed out after 120000...
>  TestDataNodeVolumeFailureReporting.tearDown:109->Object.wait:-2 >  test timed
>  TestFileContextXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testRemoveXAttrPermissions:656 > Remote N...
>  TestNameNodeMetadataConsistency.testGenerationStampInFuture:109->waitForNumBytes:161
> Timeout
>  TestNameNodeXAttr>FSXAttrBaseTest.testRemoveXAttrPermissions:656 > Remote No m...
>  TestFSImage.testCompression:96->setCompressCodec:102->testPersistHelper:108 >
IO
>  TestDiskBalancerCommand.testRunMultipleCommandsUnderOneSetup > Remote File /sy...
>  TestDiskBalancer.testBalanceDataBetweenMultiplePairsOfVolumes:187 > IllegalArgument
>  TestDiskBalancerRPC.testMoveBlockAcrossVolume > Remote File /tmp.txt could onl...
>  TestDFSRSDefault10x4StripedOutputStream>TestDFSStripedOutputStream.setup:91 >
DiskError
>  TestDFSRSDefault10x4StripedOutputStream>TestDFSStripedOutputStream.testFileSmallerThanOneStripe2:132->TestDFSStripedOutputStream.testOneFile:187
> Timeout
>  TestDFSRSDefault10x4StripedOutputStream>TestDFSStripedOutputStream.testFileMoreThanABlockGroup3:176->TestDFSStripedOutputStream.testOneFile:186
> IO
>  TestParallelRead.setupCluster:37->TestParallelReadUtil.setupCluster:71 > IO Ca...

>  TestParallelRead.teardownCluster:42->TestParallelReadUtil.teardownCluster:394 >
NullPointer

that's a clear bug in the teardown logic; I'd run that standalone then file a JIRA on it...it's
not checking for a field being set before invoking. Root cause is probably a failure in test
setup tho