hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Proposal to merge S3Guard feature branch
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2017 22:56:37 GMT

> On 2 Feb 2017, at 08:52, Aaron Fabbri <fabbri@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to propose merging the HADOOP-13345 feature branch to trunk.
>
> I just wrote up a status summary on HADOOP-13998 "initial s3guard preview"
> that goes into more detail.
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron

Even though I've been working on it, I'm not convinced it's ready

1. there's still "TODO s3guard" in bits of the code
2. there's not been that much in terms of active play —that is, beyond integration tests
and benchmarks
3. the db format is still stabilising and once that's out, life gets more complex. Example:
the version marker last week, HADOOP-13876 this week, which I still need to review.

I just don't think it's stable enough.

Once it' merged in

-development time slows, cost increases: you need review and a +1 from a full committer, not
a branch committer
-if any change causes a regression in the functionality of trunk, it's more of an issue. A
regression before the merge is a detail, one on trunk, even if short lived, isn't welcome.

I'm happy with someone to do their own preview of a 3.0.x + s3guard, say "play with this and
see how much performance you get", but right now, I think it needs a few more weeks before
getting the broader review which is going to be needed, and everyone working on it is confident
that it's going to be stable