hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Pre-commit build in Windows platform
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2016 16:42:02 GMT

wrote:

> Thanks for information. Seems to be challenge to get it done. Can we try to get dedicated
machine for this..?

	We have one.  What we don't have is someone dedicated enough to keep it running.  It is not
a "one and done". Folks will add new or change dependencies and not bother to update or even
to tell anyone to update the build servers. Even though the Linux/x86 builds have the build
setup as part of the source tree (dev-support/docker/Dockerfile), people *still* ignore it
then complain that their new feature isn't getting tested.

	FWIW, there are still bits broken even on Linux/x86.  MAPREDUCE-6743 is a great view of the
apathetic nature of the committer pool that anyone who takes this on will have to work around.
  Those native MR tasks tests have been known to be broken since qbt was introduced several
months ago. (They weren't testing in the nightly builds before, so have likely been broken
for a very long time. qbt just made them visible.) Frankly, Windows builds have zero chance
if we can't even get the Linux/x86 build stable.