hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Fwd: HADOOP-13636 and io.bytes.per.checksum
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2016 08:52:28 GMT
I got silence from HDFS dev here, so I'm raising it on common dev.

Why is HDFS tagging as deprecated " io.bytes.per.checksum ", given its an option being set
in core-default, and used by other filesystems?

>INFO  Configuration.deprecation (Configuration.java:warnOnceIfDeprecated(1182)) - io.bytes.per.checksum
is deprecated. Instead, use dfs.bytes-per-checksum

I don't see why it should be deprecated. If it isn't what HDFS likes, then the code there
could be smarter: look for the dfs value, and if not found then grab the io.bytes one —warning
the user.

I will volunteer to write this code if I get a promise that someone agrees with the premise
and is willing to help nurture it in.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com<mailto:stevel@hortonworks.com>>
Subject: HADOOP-13636 and io.bytes.per.checksum
Date: 21 September 2016 at 17:12:00 BST
To: "hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org>" <hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org>>

I'm getting told off for using the deprecated option: io.bytes.per.checksum

Except: I'm not. FileSystem.getServerDefaults() is, which is used by Trash to work out where
to delete things.

It strikes me that the system is inconsitent: HdfsConfiguration is deprecating a property
that everything else is happy to use; I see it in four places in production, and various tests,
plus core-default.xml

Is it really deprecated? If so, are there any volunteers to remove it from the codebase, while
pulling up the default value into core-default?

otherwise: how about the complaint is turned off?