hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Junping Du <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [Release thread] 2.6.5 release activities
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:10:53 GMT

Junping
From: Allen Wittenauer <aw@effectivemachines.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:13 PM
To: Junping Du
Cc: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org; hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org;
yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Release thread] 2.6.5 release activities

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 5:59 AM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>      These comments are more like wishes but not giving more clarifications on the needs.
I would like to hear more specific reasons to not move to 2.7.x releases but prefer to upgrade
to 2.6.5. If the only reason is about expectation management, I think we should claim 2.6.5
is the last branch-2.6 release after this release work, otherwise people would expect us to
maintain this branch forever which is impossible and unnecessary. Thoughts?

        The bylaws[*] are such that if community members want to spend their time working
on a branch, there isn't much to prevent that other than the PMC voting down the release of
that branch or removing the committers working on that branch.  As has been pointed out to
me many times, one can't dictate where others spend their volunteer time.  If they want to
spend their efforts on branch-2.6, they can.  If that comes at the detriment of releases around
branch-2.7 or branch-2.8 or even trunk, then so be it. Technically, someone could still fire
up a branch-1 release.  Given the numbers of committers and PMC members as listed on the main
ASF website (not the list on project one), we should have more than enough people to do all
this work anyway.

* - of course, there's a few bylaws that aren't really enforced, so maybe even this isn't
true?