hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Chiang <rchi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feedback on IRC channel
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 22:27:05 GMT
Coming in late to an old thread.

I was looking around at the Hadoop documentation (hadoop.apache.org and
wiki.apache.org/hadoop) and I'd sum up the current state of the
documentation as follows:

 1. hadoop.apache.org is pretty clearly full of technical information.
    My only minor nit here is that the wiki pointer and the Git pointer
    at the top is really tiny.
 2. wiki.apache.org is simultaneously targeted to at least four audiences
     1. Industry Users (broadest sense of Big Data Industry)
     2. Industry Developers (mostly those adding a layer like Hive does
        to MapReduce)
     3. Hadoop Users (those who just want to set up a small cluster)
     4. Hadoop Developers (e.g. using MapReduce APIs)
     5. Hadoop Internal Developers (eventual contributors)

I'd like to initiate some cleanup of the wiki, but before I even start,
I'd like to see if anyone has constructive suggestions or other
approaches that would make this transition smoother.

 1. Some sections, like Industry Users and Industry Developers is
    growing so fast, I'm not sure whether it's worth maintaining in any
    meaningful format. I'd be inclined to make suggestions on where to
    start and let Google take them forward from there.
 2. Organize the developer section based on the pieces a new reader
    wants to learn (new to everything, new to Hadoop, all the tools for
    Hadoop development, "just check out code and go", etc).
 3. Organize the Users section a bit more.  The "Setting up a Hadoop
    Cluster" is grouped well, but I'd perhaps rearrange the ordering a bit.

-Ray