hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Chiang <rchi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wiki migration and clean-up
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2016 18:27:36 GMT
Good point Allen.

I expect that moving everything to the new wiki will take a while.  Once
that's done, the code can be changed.  Just doing a quick grep, I see a
total of 12 places to change to point to the new Wiki (there may be
more).  For existing installs, we can either keep a small subset of the
old pages or add redirects/pointers from the old wiki to the new location.

-Ray

On 7/28/16 11:07 AM, Allen Wittenauer wrote:
> 	I hope you folks are aware that this is much more intensive than just moving a bunch
of documents.  Lots of wiki pages are referenced in the source code, including in user-facing
error messages.

>> On Jul 28, 2016, at 10:47 AM, Ray Chiang <rchiang@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Martin.  I did ask on INFRA-12342, and it looks like Confluence Wiki is the
recommended "latest and greatest".

>> Here's my proposal as it currently stands:
>>
>> 1) Move to Confluence Wiki.
>>
>> 2) Move all the Industry/meetup to a single page with a small set of external links.
 This will be mostly of the form, "if you want to know more you can get started with...".

>> 3) Have one other page for users just getting started.  The updated IRC information,
mailing lists, and the fact that JIRA isn't for user support will go here.

>> 4) Keep and reorganize the more detailed technical information (developers, advanced
users, and admins) on the Wiki.  For this, I have no doubt I'll be copying large chunks of
the old Wiki, but likely updating any pre-branch-2 information.

>> 5) Once everything is moved, organized, and gets enough +1's from the community,
update the pointers to the new Wiki and obsolete the old one.