hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Increased use of feature branches
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2016 23:48:55 GMT

> I agree with the concerns you raise around feature rot. For a feature like
>> EC, it'd be untenable to leave it in trunk-incompat since the rebases would
>> be impossible. I imagine we'd also need a very motivated maintainer (or
>> maintainers) to handle the periodic integration of new trunk commits, since
>> you'd potentially be doing it for multiple large features. If some brave
>> and experienced committer is willing to own maintenance of the
>> trunk-incompat branch, I think it could work. However, this is a big shift
>> from how we've historically done development.
>>

> If an incompatible feature is ready (like EC here), should we consider
> working towards the next major release? In other words, is it okay to defer
> cutting branch-3 until we have a large incompatible feature that would be a
> pain to keep up with?

So the idea is that we do trunk-incompat, then when the first large
incompat feature hits, we switch to branch-3? I guess this might work,
though it still requires someone to maintain trunk-incompat.

I think it'd also be hard to make this decision, since EC for instance at
one point was targeted for 2.x.