hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com>
Subject Release numbering for 3.x leading up to GA
Date Mon, 02 May 2016 20:50:33 GMT
Hi all,

I wanted to confirm my version numbering plan for Hadoop 3.x. We had a
related thread on this topic about a year ago, mostly focusing on the
branch-2 maintenance releases:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201504.mbox/%3CFAA30A53-C2BD-4380-9245-C8DBEC7BF386%40hortonworks.com%3E

For Hadoop 3, I wanted to do something like scheme (2) in Vinod's original
email from the above thread. e.g. leading up to GA, we'd have:

3.0.0-alpha1
3.0.0-alpha2
3.0.0-beta1
3.0.0

I like this scheme since it culminates in a 3.0 (what users expect) and we
also are not breaking compatibility in a minor release (like we did with
the 2.0-alpha -> 2.1-beta -> 2.2 series).

Thanks,
Andrew