hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Different JIRA permissions for HADOOP and HDFS
Date Sun, 15 May 2016 22:19:52 GMT
Thanks Allen for illustrating this in details. I understand. The left question is, is it intended
only JIRA owner (not sure about admin users) can do the operations like updating a patch?

Regards,
Kai

-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Wittenauer [mailto:allenwittenauer@yahoo.com.INVALID]
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2016 9:38 AM
To: Zheng, Kai <kai.zheng@intel.com>
Cc: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Different JIRA permissions for HADOOP and HDFS

> On May 14, 2016, at 7:07 AM, Zheng, Kai <kai.zheng@intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Noticed this difference but not sure if it’s intended. YARN is similar with HDFS. It’s
not convenient. Any clarifying?

	Under JIRA, different projects (e.g., HADOOP, YARN, MAPREDUCE, HDFS, YETUS, HBASE, ACCUMULO,
etc) may have different settings.  At one point in time, all of the Hadoop subprojects were
under one JIRA project (HADOOP). But then a bunch of folks decided they didn’t want to see
the other sub projects issues so they split them up…. and thus setting the stage for duplicate
code and operational divergence in the source.

	Since people don’t realize or care that they are separate, people will file INFRA tickets
or whatever to change “their project” and not the rest. This leads to the JIRA projects
also diverging… which ultimately drives those of us who actually look at the project as
a whole bonkers.