hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compatibility guidelines for toString overrides
Date Sat, 14 May 2016 17:39:47 GMT

> On May 12, 2016, at 12:20 PM, Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Allen,
>
> The intent is not for this rule to override other compatibility rules,
> such as the important CLI output rule.  It's also not intended to give us
> free reign to change existing toString() implementations without due
> diligence.  If a patch changes an existing toString() implementation that
> already goes out to the shell or any other form of external serialization,
> then the patch needs to be declined.  (I concur that relying on toString()
> like this should never be done, and I'd encourage us to fix any
> occurrences we find.)

	The problem is that we as a community do a terrible job on following the compatibility guidelines
when it comes to CLI output.  Because while this maybe true:

> Instead, the intent is to advertise to Java API consumers that toString()
> output may evolve freely, and therefore we recommend against writing Java
> code that depends on that output format.

	… what’s going to happen is people are going to assume that because toString is now considered
Unstable, all output will be considered Unstable by way of mental short cut.  There have been
many, many instances over the past year or two where even long time PMC members have claimed
CLI output was already Unstable/outside the scope of the compatibility guidelines and I just
see this re-inforcing that (incorrect) world view.

> HDFS-9732 is a good example of how to handle this.  I didn't explicitly -1
> it, but I did call out the CLI compatibility problem and recommend how to
> change the patch so that it preserves compatibility.
>
> Does this help address your concerns, or is the full code audit the only
> thing that would convince you to lift your -1?

	No, because “perception is reality”.  If we want to make toString Unstable, then we need
to be very clear as to which toStrings are Unstable and which aren’t.  This isn’t a universal
rule without doing some legwork.