hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Larry McCay <lmc...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Guidance needed on HADOOP-13096 and HADOOP-13097
Date Fri, 06 May 2016 02:22:32 GMT
I would vote for C or D with a filed JIRA to clean up the maven structure as a separate effort.
Before moving to D, could you describe any reason to not go with C?

On May 4, 2016, at 9:51 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@apache.org> wrote:

> 	When the sub-projects re-merged, maven work was done, whatever, the shell scripts for
MR and YARN were placed (effectively) outside of the normal maven hierarchy.  In order to
add unit tests to the shell scripts for these sub-projects, it means effectively turning hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn
and hadoop-mapreduce-project into “real” modules so that mvn test works as expected.
 Doing so will likely have some surprising consequences, such as anyone who modifies java
code and the shell code in a patch will trigger _all_ of the unit tests in yarn.

> 	I think we have four options:
>
> a) Continue forward turning these into real modules with src directories, etc and we
live with the consequences

> b) Move the related bits into an existing module, making them similar to HDFS, common,
tools

> c) Move the related bits into a new module, using the layout that maven really really
wants

> d) Skip the unit tests; we don’t have them now
>
> 	This is clearly more work than what I really wanted to cover in this branch, but given
that there was a specific request to add unit test code for this functionality, I’m sort
of stuck here.