hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Introduce Apache Kerby to Hadoop
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2016 10:51:03 GMT

I've discussed this offline with Kai, as part of the "let's fix kerberos" project. Not only
is it a better Kerberos engine, we can do more diagnostics, get better algorithms and ultimately
get better APIs for doing Kerberos and SASL —the latter would dramatically reduce the cost
of wire-encrypting IPC.

For now, I'd like to see basic steps -upgrading minkdc to krypto, see how it works.

Long term, I'd like Hadoop 3 to be Kerby-ized

> On 22 Feb 2016, at 06:41, Zheng, Kai <kai.zheng@intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to mention Apache Kerby [1] here to the community and propose to introduce the
project to Hadoop, a sub project of Apache Directory project.

> Apache Kerby is a Kerberos centric project and aims to provide a first Java Kerberos
library that contains both client and server supports. The relevant features include:
> It supports full Kerberos encryption types aligned with both MIT KDC and MS AD;
> Client APIs to allow to login via password, credential cache, keytab file and etc.;
> Utilities for generate, operate and inspect keytab and credential cache files;
> A simple KDC server that borrows some ideas from Hadoop-MiniKDC and can be used in tests
but with minimal overhead in external dependencies;
> A brand new token mechanism is provided, can be experimentally used, using it a JWT token
can be used to exchange a TGT or service ticket;
> Anonymous PKINIT support, can be experientially used, as the first Java library that
supports the Kerberos major extension.

> The project stands alone and is ensured to only depend on JRE for easier usage. It has
made the first release (1.0.0-RC1) and 2nd release (RC2) is upcoming.

> As an initial step, this proposal suggests using Apache Kerby to upgrade the existing
codes related to ApacheDS for the Kerberos support. The advantageous:

> 1. The kerby-kerb library is all the need, which is purely in Java, SLF4J is the only
dependency, the whole is rather small;

> 2. There is a SimpleKDC in the library for test usage, which borrowed the MiniKDC idea
and implemented all the support existing in MiniKDC. We had a POC that rewrote MiniKDC using
Kerby SimpleKDC and it works fine;

> 3. Full Kerberos encryption types (many of them are not available in JRE but supported
by major Kerberos vendors) and more functionalities like credential cache support;

> 4. Perhaps the most concerned, Hadoop MiniKDC and etc. depend on the old Kerberos implementation
in Directory Server project, but the implementation is stopped being maintained. Directory
project has a plan to replace the implementation using Kerby. MiniKDC can use Kerby directly
to simplify the deps;

> 5. Extensively tested with all kinds of unit tests, already being used for some time
(like PSU), even in production environment;

> 6. Actively developed, and can be fixed and released in time if necessary, separately
and independently from other components in Apache Directory project. By actively developing
Apache Kerby and now applying it to Hadoop, our side wish to make the Kerberos deploying,
troubleshooting and further enhancement can  be much easier and thereafter possible.

> Wish this is a good beginning, and eventually Apache Kerby can benefit other projects
in the ecosystem as well.

> This Kerberos related work is actually a long time effort led by Weihua Jiang in Intel,
and had been kindly encouraged by Andrew Purtell, Steve Loughran, Gangumalla Uma, Andrew Wang
and etc., thanks a lot for their great discussions and inputs in the past.