hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject [DISCUSS} why is checkstyle harassing me on indentation?
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2016 19:34:00 GMT

Yetus checkstyle is going a bit overboard on indentation policy

https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-HADOOP-Build/8434/artifact/patchprocess/diff-checkstyle-hadoop-common-project_hadoop-common.txt

I am happy with it going on about javadocs, box/unbox, charsets. But complaining that something
isn't indented by precisely the number of spaces.

It's notable that the (no-longer-maintained) style guides don't mandate inflexible indentation

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/documentation/codeconventions-136091.html#248

They have "preferred", but they give you freedom to focus on readability over absolute policy.

Accordingly

1. I'm going to ignore checkstyle indentation warnings on my own patches.
2. I'm not going go consider indentation warnings a reason to not apply a patch. I won't even
say "fix this and I'll commit it"
3. If other people agree, I'd like to crank it back to something that says on a multiline
statement the indentation must be >= 2, but not define the exact indentation according
to rules that aren't even in the Sun policy.