hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release Plan for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 17:44:02 GMT

> On 6 Jan 2016, at 23:59, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> Hello folks,
>       Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and good rest in passed weeks.

I got to spend the break cutting a new release of slider after some colleagues vetoed the
previous RC. So, mixed.

> Any thoughts? Especially on schedule and list of patches that should be included?

As  a consequence of that little bit of work,

I now have a little ant build file to do most of the drudge work

https://github.com/apache/incubator-slider/blob/branches/branch-0.9/bin/release.xml
http://slider.incubator.apache.org/developing/releasing.html

This includes
 -running the maven tests and builds, with any extra cleanup beyond that which "mvn clean"
does
 -validating checksums and signatures of the RC artifacts
 -copying the RC artifacts to the ASF distribution SVN repo, checking it in
 -checking that the RC artifacts can be downloaded, that the current git commit is pushed
out and public
 -generating email messages calling for votes, and announcing the results

If you do want to get into making monthly releases, I'd recommend automating everything you
can —and using this as the starting place. Generating those email messages turns out to
be very convenient.

I'll probably join in with some automation of my publishing of the matching windows binaries
to https://github.com/steveloughran/winutils