hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Junping Du <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release Plan for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2016 22:17:55 GMT
Thanks for comments, Vinod.
I will cut-off 2.6.4 branch this week after resolving build failure on branch-2.6 which is
caused by HADOOP-12715.

Thanks,

Junping
From: Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vinodkv@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:58 PM
To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org; hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org;
junping_du@apache.org; Sangjin Lee
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Release Plan for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4

I just pushed out 2.7.2 to the public.

Let’s get 2.6.4 back into focus now that 2.7.2 is done.

In the mean while, I’ll get go dust off 2.8.0 too ..

Thanks
+Vinod

> On Jan 6, 2016, at 3:59 PM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> Hello folks,
>       Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and good rest in passed weeks. We just had
a 2.6.3 release on Dec.17 and now it is a good time to look forward to the next branch-2.6
maintenance release - 2.6.4 in the beginning of new year. As usual, this release will be based
on latest release 2.6.3 but include a couple of critical/blocker bug fixes that identified
in community recently.

> Things Done/TODO:
>
>  + Schedule
>    -- According to previous email discussion thread in community, we are prefering fast-moving
way (roughly as monthly) of releasing fixes on branch-2.6. So I would expect this release
could happen around end of Jan. or early of Feb. dependens on if RC & VOTE process going
on smoothly. Also, it should be after release 2.7.2 to get rid of any possible disturb to
that release.

>  + Branch
>    -- 2.6.4 will be based on branch-2.6, which has been open to 2.6.4 commits for a while.
I plan to branch out branch-2.6.4 sometime next week according to status of target/fixed fixes.
>    -- Before 2.6.4 branch is cut off, new commits coming as fix to 2.6.4 is good to commit/merge
to trunk, branch-2 and branch-2.6.

>  + Patches
>    -- In last couple of days, I went through all critial/blocker bug fixes in the coming
2.7.2 release and ping authors/committers on JIRA to ask for the same effort on branch-2.6.4.
I could do more rounds of the same practice in case I could miss something helpful. Also,
a kindly reminder from original author and committer is also appreciated.
>    -- So far, 2.6.4 already has 18 fixes as list of [1] shows. However, there are totally
55 fixes target for 2.6.4 for now [2], so there is still a large gap and we need to work harder
to resolve these tickets as many as we can and push out some non-critical ones to meet our
promise of date.

>  + Release
>    -- Still too early to do anything directly related to RC. Will work on resolve fixes
in list of [2] first, and appreciate any help on this effort.

> Any thoughts? Especially on schedule and list of patches that should be included?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Junping
>
> [1] Tickets fixed in 2.6.4:
> http://s.apache.org/vJB
>
> [2] Tickets targets for 2.6.4:
> http://s.apache.org/JpE

+0 (non-binding) and no -1s, the vote passes.

> Thanks for everyone who tried the release candidate and voted. Thanks Vinod, Sangjin
and Steve to provide me advices on release process.

> I'll push the release bits and send out an announcement for 2.6.3 soon.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Junping

release to follow up 2.6.2.) according to email thread of release plan 2.6.3 [1]. Sorry for
this RC coming a bit late as several blocker issues were getting committed until yesterday.
Below is the details: