hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Haohui Mai <ricet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status: hadoop-common precommit
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:23:29 GMT
bq. It’s an extremely rare event that this type of re-ordering occurs,
so risk/reward favors risk.

Unfortunately HDFS-9214 requires building hadoop-hdfs-client before
building hadoop-hdfs, which leads to the failure. Same problem for
HADOOP-12500 as it introduces a new module hadoop-common-client.

Can you please post a more detailed pointer on how to fix this?

~Haohui

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@altiscale.com> wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2015, at 5:11 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@altiscale.com> wrote:
>

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12500?focusedCommentId=14968065&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14968065
>>
>>       This is yetus.
>>

>>> Looks like a bug?
>

>         Actually, looking closer at this last one, this is a fun one.  I’m still experimenting,
but it looks like a backwards incompatible change that breaks the build dependency ordering.
   It’s trying to grab a jar from the maven repos that doesn’t exist yet. This *will*
succeed if the local cache already has a copy of it. Chances are, if this commit were to go
in, it’ll break every build that doesn’t run at root until the master maven repo or the
local cache is up-to-date.  It’s a flag day for building trunk.

>         Unlike the older version, the Yetus’ hadoop module avoids building at root
to speed things up  and has a list of modules to build in a particular order and even injecting
other compiles that normally wouldn’t happen in order to improve test coverage.  So old
test-patch would let this go through unabated, the new one does not.  It’s an extremely
rare event that this type of re-ordering occurs, so risk/reward favors risk.

>         Depending upon your point of view, this is a feature, not a bug.  File a bug
(and, preferably, a patch) against Yetus to update the hadoop personality to tell yetus that
a new order is needed.