hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FYI: Major, long-standing Issue with trunk's test-patch
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2015 08:36:53 GMT
>   So I’m going to turn on Yetus for *ALL* Hadoop precommit jobs later tonight.

Thank you for sharing, Allen.  I think this activity will make quality
of Hadoop code better.

Best
- Tsuyoshi

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@altiscale.com> wrote:

>         Today I discovered that an old, old code change (circa 2012) caused certain maven
modules to be skipped during the precommit testing.  That code had been carried forward through
all the rewrites, bug fixes, etc, over the years likely because it seemed the correct thing
to do. It is clearly not, since at least hadoop-pipes was getting ignored.  I have not evaluated
the impact of the bug on other parts of the Hadoop code base.

>         I’ve got sitting in the Hadoop beta test branch of Yetus what I think is a
potential fix to that bug.  Initial testing shows all systems are go.

>         Additionally:
>
>         * After several weeks, Yetus being used for Hadoop Common has been more or as
stable as trunk’s, but testing significantly more parts.
>         * People are still reporting bugs on trunk’s test-patch that have been fixed
for months in Yetus.
>         * People are still confused as to which version is running where, despite the
email thread just a few days ago.  (*exasperated sigh here*)

>         So I’m going to turn on Yetus for *ALL* Hadoop precommit jobs later tonight.
(Given how backed up Jenkins is at the moment, there is plenty of time. haha) Anyway, if you
see “Powered by Yetus” in the Hadoop QA posts, you’ve got Yetus.  If you don’t see
it, it ran on trunk’s test-patch.

>         (… and now begin the threads on everyone freaking out and/or not reading the
above …)