hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] About the details of JDK-8 support
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2015 08:17:04 GMT
Thank you for sharing lots information and joining discussion.

About the runtime support of JDK-8,  let's describe it on wiki. It
would be great for users to clarify which JDK version they should use.
It's also useful to describe to use "1.8.0_40 or above" explicitly.
Andrew, Elliott, could you update wiki or can I update wiki to add the
description?

https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopJavaVersions

About the source code level, I summarize opinions by users and
developers as follows:

1. Moving trunk to the java-8 compatible dependencies.
2. Creating branch-2-java-8 after 1.
3. Dropping Java 7 support (maybe when we support JDK 9?) after 2.
Currently, we don't have any consensus.

> I'd  be +1 for moving trunk to the java-8 compatible dependencies, and to have the jenkins
nighly builds only before java 8; we'd still have the patch and branch-2 runs on Java 7. That
way, people will only have one nightly mail from Jenkins saying the build is broken, and maybe
pay more attention to the fact.

This way looks good to me.
Steve, do you know how to do this? In fact, I don't know so much about
how to change and update nightly builds. Should we contact to Yetus
community or Apache Infra team?

Best,
- Tsuyoshi