hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin P. McCabe" <cmcc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Looking to a 2.8.0 release
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2015 18:53:06 GMT
I think it makes sense to have a 2.8 release since there are a
tremendous number of JIRAs in 2.8 that are not in 2.7.  Doing a 3.x
release seems like something we should consider separately since it
would not have the same compatibility guarantees as a 2.8 release.
There's a pretty big delta between trunk and 2.8 as well.

cheers,
Colin

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Chris Douglas <cdouglas@apache.org> wrote:
> With two active sustaining branches (2.6, 2.7), what would you think
> of releasing trunk as 3.x instead of pushing 2.8? There are many new
> features (EC, Y1197, etc.), and trunk could be the source of several
> alpha/beta releases before we fork the 3.x line. -C
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Vinod Vavilapalli
> <vinodkv@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> As you may have noted, 2.8.0 got completely derailed what with 2.7.x and the unusually
long 2.6.1 release.

>> With 2.6.1 out of the way, and two parallel threads in progress for 2.6.2 and 2.7.2,
it’s time for us to look back at where we are with Hadoop 2.8.

>> I’ll do a quick survey of where the individual features are and the amount of content
already present in 2.8 and kick-start 2.8.0 process again.

>> +Vinod
>>

>>> On Apr 21, 2015, at 2:39 PM, vinodkv@apache.org wrote:
>>>
>>> With 2.7.0 out of the way, and with more maintenance releases to stabilize it,
I propose we start thinking about 2.8.0.

>>> Here's my first cut of the proposal, will update the Roadmap wiki.
>>>  - Support *both* JDK7 and JDK8 runtimes: HADOOP-11090
>>>  - Compatibility tools to catch backwards, forwards compatibility issues at patch
submission, release times. Some of it is captured at YARN-3292. This also involves resurrecting
jdiff (HADOOP-11776/YARN-3426/MAPREDUCE-6310) and/or investing in new tools.
>>>  - HADOOP-11656 Classpath isolation for downstream clients
>>>  - Support for Erasure Codes in HDFS HDFS-7285
>>>  - Early work for disk and network isolation in YARN: YARN-2139, YARN-2140
>>>  - YARN Timeline Service Next generation: YARN-2928. At least branch-merge +
early peek.
>>>  - Supporting non-exclusive node-labels: YARN-3214
>>>
>>> I'm experimenting with more agile 2.7.x releases and would like to continue the
same by volunteering as the RM for 2.8.x too.

>>> Given the long time we took with 2.7.0, the timeline I am looking at is 8-12
weeks. We can pick as many features as they finish along and make a more predictable releases
instead of holding up releases for ever.