hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@altiscale.com>
Subject FYI: Major, long-standing Issue with trunk's test-patch
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2015 02:44:20 GMT

	Today I discovered that an old, old code change (circa 2012) caused certain maven modules
to be skipped during the precommit testing.  That code had been carried forward through all
the rewrites, bug fixes, etc, over the years likely because it seemed the correct thing to
do. It is clearly not, since at least hadoop-pipes was getting ignored.  I have not evaluated
the impact of the bug on other parts of the Hadoop code base.

	I’ve got sitting in the Hadoop beta test branch of Yetus what I think is a potential fix
to that bug.  Initial testing shows all systems are go.

	Additionally:

	* After several weeks, Yetus being used for Hadoop Common has been more or as stable as trunk’s,
but testing significantly more parts.
	* People are still reporting bugs on trunk’s test-patch that have been fixed for months
in Yetus.
	* People are still confused as to which version is running where, despite the email thread
just a few days ago.  (*exasperated sigh here*)

	So I’m going to turn on Yetus for *ALL* Hadoop precommit jobs later tonight. (Given how
backed up Jenkins is at the moment, there is plenty of time. haha) Anyway, if you see “Powered
by Yetus” in the Hadoop QA posts, you’ve got Yetus.  If you don’t see it, it ran on
trunk’s test-patch.

	(… and now begin the threads on everyone freaking out and/or not reading the above …)