hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@altiscale.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] More Maintenance Releases
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2015 17:17:38 GMT

On Jun 26, 2015, at 3:35 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Allen, do you still have these concerns? You mentioned having written
> scripts to parse CHANGES.txt. I've written scripts for similar tasks, but
> what I turned to were git log and JIRA, not CHANGES.txt. I was wondering if
> this is a relic from the SVN days, since svn log was dog slow. Git log is
> quite a bit better.

	git log is totally unreliable.  I’ve shown that over and over and over.  JIRA may not perfect,
but it’s *correctable* and the restraints on what actually can be input in certain fields
is a good thing.

	But frankly, at this point, it doesn’t matter. We haven’t had a *single* minor release
in branch-2 that didn’t break something in user- or ops- facing ways.  Why stop now?