hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@altiscale.com>
Subject Re: Where to put some code examples?
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2015 17:11:50 GMT

On Jun 24, 2015, at 10:03 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Ray Chiang <rchiang@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, dev-support sounds good.  The only question I have is that there
>> isn't a pom.xml there now.  Is that something we'd want to have there?  And
>> should it at least be linked to the main build via some option, like -Pdev?
>>

> I was working under the assumption that they'd be independent project poms
> that a dev would have to actively change directories to use.
>
> If they're hooked into the main build, I'd say add a new module instead. We
> already have a few "foo-examples" modules, so maybe flag it as
> "foo-internal-examples" to distinguish from things downstream users should
> be looking to for guidance.

	Agreed: dev-support is probably the wrong place. That's typically where "things that help
make the build, build" tend to go.

	There are some examples and samples sprinkled throughout the code base.  Plus there is always
hadoop-tools as a fallback, which is sort of the 'junk drawer' for these sorts of things.
 IMO, "random .jhist generator" sounds like a thing that should go into hadoop-tools.