hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Checkstyle 80 char limit
Date Tue, 05 May 2015 23:57:23 GMT
I typically split my IDE into two side-by-side panes, the 80 char limit
works pretty well once you factor in the side panes too. I've worked on a
project with a 100 char limit, and that's about the point where even my 30"
monitor needs side scrolling.

I think Colin pretty much nailed it with his reasons. We need some limit,
very wide lines hurt readability, if you run into issues consider
refactoring your code. I've had annoyances with long variable or method
names, but nothing so egregious that makes me want to up it from 80 (and I
have reviewed some code in distcp too). I use the autoformatter in my IDE
and let the magic happen.

Best,
Andrew