hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>
Subject Re: Checkstyle 80 char limit
Date Tue, 05 May 2015 18:21:01 GMT
Perhaps we should tell him these screens can also be turned landscape ? ;)

But seriously:
1) Does Doug still actively work on code? From my perspective; Only very
infrequently.
2) In the 200+ people IT department where I work I know only 1 colleague
who uses his screen in portrait mode and he doesn't do code.

So, for who do we really stick to the 80 chars limit?

Niels

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 8:11 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@altiscale.com> wrote:

> On May 5, 2015, at 11:05 AM, Rich Haase <rhaase@pandora.com> wrote:
>
> > Can someone explain to me why on earth we care about limiting line
> length to 80 characters?  Are there hadoop developers out there working
> from teletype terminals?  Can we perhaps update this limit to something
> sane, like 120 chars?
> >

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCALEq1Z8QvHof1A3zO0W5WGfbNjCOpfNo==JktQ8JiU6eFM_1RQ@mail.gmail.com%3E

Niels Basjes