hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Haase <rha...@pandora.com>
Subject Re: Checkstyle 80 char limit
Date Tue, 05 May 2015 19:53:42 GMT
Arun,

I use my IDE split vertically all the time on projects without strict line limits and I have
never had a problem seeing the code from multiple classes in such a setup.

I can certainly setup my IDE to only do 80 characters a line, although I think it hurts readability
in many cases where long names force method calls to wrap across many lines.  The reason I
initially asked about the line length limit being so low is that I am having to reformat a
quite a bit of the distcp code in order to submit a patch.  It’s clear to me that distcp
did not follow the code standards being checked by checkstyle.  While I don’t mind refactoring
code to meet a standard I think that standard should reflect the state of development environments
used this decade.

Rich

On May 5, 2015, at 1:36 PM, Arun Suresh <asuresh@cloudera.com<mailto:asuresh@cloudera.com>>