hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@altiscale.com>
Subject Re: use of HADOOP_HOME
Date Thu, 28 May 2015 18:39:58 GMT

On May 28, 2015, at 11:29 AM, Sangjin Lee <sjlee0@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Chris and Allen for the info! Yes, we can use HADOOP_PREFIX
> until/unless HADOOP-11393 is resolved.
>
> Just to clarify, we're not setting HADOOP_HOME/HADOOP_PREFIX in our
> *-env.sh; we simply use them. I don't know that it is always feasible to
> set them at the machine level. Some setups may have multiple hadoop
> installs and want to switch between them, and so on.

	Yup.  Understood.  In fact, it’s probably worth pointing out that if you do a tar-ball
style install (e.g, all the hadoop gunk is in one dir), trunk will figure all these vars out
based upon the hadoop/yarn/etc bin in your path. :)  … and HADOOP_PREFIX should be set to
something by the time *-env.sh gets set, so should be safe to use there.  It’s just HADOOP_HOME
that’s problematic.  If HADOOP-11393 gets committed, then the rules will be a bit different….

	trunk’s most powerful env var is probably HADOOP_LIBEXEC_DIR, actually.  But I’ll leave
that as an exercise for the reader to as to why.