hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Protocol Buffers version
Date Fri, 15 May 2015 11:55:19 GMT
On 15/05/2015 09:44, Steve Loughran wrote:

> Now: why do you want to use a later version of protobuf.jar? Is it
> because "it is there"? Or is there a tangible need?

No, it's because I'm looking at this from a platform perspective: We
have other consumers of ProtoBuf beside Hadoop and we'd obviously like
to minimise the versions of PB that we ship, and preferably just ship
the latest version. The fact that PB seems to often be incompatible
across releases is an issue as it makes upgrading and dropping older
versions problematic.

--
Alan Burlison