hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@altiscale.com>
Subject Re: IMPORTANT: testing patches for branches
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:55:01 GMT

On Apr 23, 2015, at 7:57 PM, Sidharta Seethana <sidharta.apache@gmail.com> wrote:

> About (3.) , a lot of the check style rules seem to be arcane/unnecessary.
> Please see : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-11869

a) I've closed it as a dupe of HADOOP-11866 to keep everything in one place.

b) I've had HADOOP-11778 open for a while to update checkstyle to a more modern version….
which will also likely fix HADOOP-11546.

c) According to our commit guidelines, checkstyle is a requirement for commitment.  If we
want to remove that requirement, we need to modify the guidelines and comment out the registration
line in the checkstyle.sh plugin. We've been ignoring it for whatever reasons, likely because
the code in the old test-patch.sh was pretty broken to the point of being disabled.

	Personally, while some view this as a "minor formatting issue", it reflects poorly on the
project to have every file formatted differently. check style is meant to enforce those rules.
  This *is* a quality check.

	Given that branch-2 went from "stable" (~2.4) to "beta" (~2.6) to  "alpha" (officially 2.7),
well… I guess I shouldn't be surprised that quality is going down though.