hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Akira AJISAKA <ajisa...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>
Subject Re: A 2.7.1 release to follow up 2.7.0
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2015 08:50:30 GMT
Thanks Vinod!
I'm +1 (non-binding) for the plan to having 2.7.1. I'm also +1 for 
follow up releases (2.7.2/2.7.3/...) for stabilizing.

Regards,
Akira

On 4/10/15 13:44, Vinayakumar B wrote:
> Thanks Vinod.
> +1 for the above plan of 2.7.1.
> 2.7.0 is in the queue for long time.
>
> -Vinay
>
> Regards,
> Vinay
>
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 3:31 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <
> vinodkv@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
>>
>> branch-2.7 is now open for commits to a 2.7.1 release. JIRA also now has a
>> 2.7.1 version for all the sub-projects.
>>
>> I moved all the pending non-blocker tickets from 2.7.0 into 2.8.0. Please
>> move anything back into 2.7.1 as you see fit. As I mentioned before, let's
>> restrict ourselves to important bug-fixes and blockers.
>>
>> We can target a maintenance release in 2-4 weeks depending on the inflow
>> of the bug reports.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> +Vinod
>>
>> On Apr 9, 2015, at 2:12 PM, Zhijie Shen <zshen@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I meant we *haven't* done the compatibility check.
>>> ________________________________________
>>> From: Zhijie Shen <zshen@hortonworks.com>
>>> Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 2:00 PM
>>> To: yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org; common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
>>> Cc: hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org; Vinod
>> Kumar Vavilapalli
>>> Subject: Re: A 2.7.1 release to follow up 2.7.0
>>>
>>> +1 for roll out 2.7.0 soon and continuing stabilization in 2.7.1.
>>>
>>> Agree with Karthik, it's better to exclude all improvements unless it
>> turns out to blocking something.
>>>
>>> In terms of jdiff, we have done the compatibility check for quite a
>> while in branch-2. Do we want to back port it to (some of) early releases?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Zhijie
>>> ________________________________________
>>> From: Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com>
>>> Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 12:56 PM
>>> To: yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org
>>> Cc: hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; common-dev@hadoop.apache.org;
>> mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org; Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
>>> Subject: Re: A 2.7.1 release to follow up 2.7.0
>>>
>>> There's a couple of S3a fixes coming along which could go into a 2.7.1;
>> they've been held back to avoid rushing them in to 2.7.0 last-minute.
>>>
>>>> On 9 Apr 2015, at 20:33, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> +1 (non-binding).
>>>> The plan sounds reasonable. We should make our release train more
>> fast-moving, and predictable - it could benefit our community and ecosystem
>> in many aspects.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Junping
>>>> ________________________________________
>>>> From: Arpit Agarwal <aagarwal@hortonworks.com>
>>>> Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 8:23 PM
>>>> To: hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; common-dev@hadoop.apache.org;
>> yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org
>>>> Cc: Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
>>>> Subject: Re: A 2.7.1 release to follow up 2.7.0
>>>>
>>>> +1 for 2.7.1 and +1 for promoting it to 'stable', assuming it includes
>> no new features or gratuitous improvements.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Arpit
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 4/9/15, 11:48 AM, "Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli" <vinodkv@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>>
>>>>> I feel like we haven't done a great job of maintaining the previous 2.x
>>>>> releases. Seeing as how long 2.7.0 release has taken, I am sure we will
>>>>> spend more time stabilizing it, fixing issues etc.
>>>>>
>>>>> I propose that we immediately follow up 2.7.0 with a 2.7.1 within 2-3
>>>>> weeks. The focus obviously is to have blocker issues, bug-fixes and
>> *no*
>>>>> features. Improvements are going to be slightly hard to reason about,
>> but I
>>>>> propose limiting ourselves to very small improvements, if at all.
>>>>>
>>>>> The other area of concern with the previous releases had been
>>>>> compatibility. With help from Li Lu, I got jdiff reinstated in branch-2
>>>>> (though patches are not yet in), and did a pass. In the unavoidable
>> event
>>>>> that we find incompatibilities with 2.7.0, we can fix those in 2.7.1
>> and
>>>>> promote that to be the stable release.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thoughts?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,+Vinod
>>
>>
>


Mime
View raw message