hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: IMPORTANT: testing patches for branches
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:45:37 GMT

1. I really like the new patch process, especially the at-a-glance summary
2. I think being -1 on whitespace is overkill; Its just part of my " git apply -p 0 -3 --verbose
--whitespace=fix  " action. Accordingly, I won't reject patches on whitespace alone.
3. if checkstyle is complaining, how to track it down? As example, I don't see much from:
https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-HADOOP-Build/6167/artifact/patchprocess/checkstyle-result-diff.txt

> On 23 Apr 2015, at 12:21, Allen Wittenauer <aw@altiscale.com> wrote:
>

> On Apr 22, 2015, at 11:34 PM, Zheng, Kai <kai.zheng@intel.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Allen,
>>
>> This sounds great.

>> Does it happen locally in developer's machine when running test-patch.sh, or also
mean something in Hadoop Jenkins building when a JIRA becoming patch available? Thanks.

> 	Both, now that a fix has been committed last night (there was a bug in the Jenkins handling).
>
> 	Given a patch name or URL, Jenkins and even running locally will try a few different
methods to figure out which branch to use  out.  Note that a branch name of ‘gitX’ where
X is a valid git reference also works to force a patch to start at a particular commit.

> 	For local use, you’ll want to use a ‘spare’ copy of the source tree via the —basedir
option and use the —resetrepo flag.  That will enable Jenkins-like behavior and gives it
permission to make modifications and effectively nuke any changes in the source tree you point
it at.  (Basically the opposite of the —dirty-workspace flag).  If you want to force a branch
(for whatever reason, including where the branch can’t be figured out), you can use the
—branch option.

> 	If you don’t use —resetrepo, test-patch.sh will warn that it thinks the wrong branch
is being used but will push on anyway.

> 	In any case, the result of what it thinks the branch is/should be will be in the summary
output at the bottom along with the git ref that it specifically used for the test.