hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop Common: Why not re-use the Security model offered by SELINUX?
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2015 13:06:32 GMT

SELinux does nothing for Hadoop cluster security at the data-layer, which is why there tools
on top, not only to lock down systems, but to provide better data governance: where did things
come from, has it been tainted by merging with sensitive data, etc, etc.

Where it could be good is

1. Allow hadoop nodes to be more secure on the intranet itself. It's another layer in the
defense-in-depth story, so if some standard Linux service on the system (ssh, ntpd, ...) gets
compromised, the damage is partially limited. My home server is SELinux-enforced, for example

2. Reduce the impact of anything malicious trying to run as a YARN-scheduled app.

#2 is moot until you have Kerberos up; until then the whole of HDFS is visible. Once you have
it up SE linux could restrict what damage a privilege-esclated YARN job could do to the local
hosts. But I'm still reasonably confident that given the ability to run 200+ containers on
a Hadoop cluster for a few hours I could (a) portscan an intranet for SMB & sharepoint
hosts, and (b) execute enough TCP open connections to overload the services.

I'm +1 to getting Hadoop to run on SELinux; I think mainly we've been lazy.

But it's not going to keep your Hadoop-stored data safe, lock-down your network apps or help
mitigate the intentional or unintentional damage that hadoop code can do if on the same intranet
as the rest of your organisation. Or, as AW on Nicholas can attest, the damage you can do
from running network traffic- or CPU-intensive code from taking down the network or power
supplies of the rest of the datacentre.