hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@altiscale.com>
Subject Re: about CHANGES.txt
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2015 02:23:16 GMT

On Mar 18, 2015, at 2:32 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:

> The bigger question for me is why we have CHANGES.txt at all when we have
> release notes, since the information is almost identical.

Yeah, I don’t think it was always like that.  Stripping it down to just the ones that actually
have release notes make them much more usable, based upon my experiments.  Also, highlighting
the ones marked  as incompatible (in both of them) but lacking notes has been extremely helpful
in not getting surprised.

Also, one of the big problems was that YARN didn’t have a release notes field, so it used
to print the description. I got the INFRA team to fix that forever ago, but I don’t think
anyone noticed.