hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Bhat, Vijay (CONT)" <Vijay.B...@capitalone.com>
Subject Test case failures with Hadoop trunk
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 00:59:57 GMT
Hi all,

My name is Vijay Bhat and I am looking to contribute to the Hadoop YARN project. I have been
using and benefiting from Hadoop ecosystem technologies for a few years now and I want to
give back to the community that makes this happen.

I forked the apache/hadoop branch on github and synced to the last commit (https://github.com/apache/hadoop/commit/1556f86a31a54733d6550363aa0e027acca7823b)
that successfully built on the Apache build server (https://builds.apache.org/view/All/job/Hadoop-Yarn-trunk/758/).

However, I get test case failures when I build the Hadoop source code on a VM running Ubuntu
12.04 LTS.

The maven command I am running from the hadoop base directory is:

mvn clean install -U

Console output

Tests run: 9, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 2.392 sec <<< FAILURE!
- in org.apache.hadoop.ipc.TestDecayRpcScheduler
testAccumulate(org.apache.hadoop.ipc.TestDecayRpcScheduler)  Time elapsed: 0.084 sec  <<<
FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: expected:<3> but was:<2>
at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)
at org.junit.Assert.failNotEquals(Assert.java:743)
at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:118)
at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:555)
at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:542)
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.TestDecayRpcScheduler.testAccumulate(TestDecayRpcScheduler.java:136)

testPriority(org.apache.hadoop.ipc.TestDecayRpcScheduler)  Time elapsed: 0.052 sec  <<<
FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: expected:<1> but was:<0>
at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)
at org.junit.Assert.failNotEquals(Assert.java:743)
at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:118)
at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:555)
at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:542)
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.TestDecayRpcScheduler.testPriority(TestDecayRpcScheduler.java:197)

Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 111.519 sec <<< FAILURE!
- in org.apache.hadoop.ha.TestZKFailoverControllerStress
testExpireBackAndForth(org.apache.hadoop.ha.TestZKFailoverControllerStress)  Time elapsed:
45.46 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.lang.Exception: test timed out after 40000 milliseconds
at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.MiniZKFCCluster.waitForHAState(MiniZKFCCluster.java:164)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.MiniZKFCCluster.expireAndVerifyFailover(MiniZKFCCluster.java:236)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.TestZKFailoverControllerStress.testExpireBackAndForth(TestZKFailoverControllerStress.java:79)

Tests run: 19, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 62.514 sec <<< FAILURE!
- in org.apache.hadoop.ha.TestZKFailoverController
testGracefulFailoverFailBecomingStandby(org.apache.hadoop.ha.TestZKFailoverController)  Time
elapsed: 15.062 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.lang.Exception: test timed out after 15000 milliseconds
at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.ZKFailoverController.waitForActiveAttempt(ZKFailoverController.java:467)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.ZKFailoverController.doGracefulFailover(ZKFailoverController.java:657)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.ZKFailoverController.access$400(ZKFailoverController.java:61)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.ZKFailoverController$3.run(ZKFailoverController.java:602)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.ZKFailoverController$3.run(ZKFailoverController.java:599)
at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1683)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.ZKFailoverController.gracefulFailoverToYou(ZKFailoverController.java:599)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.ZKFCRpcServer.gracefulFailover(ZKFCRpcServer.java:94)
at org.apache.hadoop.ha.TestZKFailoverController.testGracefulFailoverFailBecomingStandby(TestZKFailoverController.java:532)

When I skip the tests, the source code compiles successfully.

mvn clean install -U –DskipTests

Is there something I’m doing incorrectly that’s causing the test cases to fail? I’d
really appreciate any insight from folks who have gone through this process before. I’ve
looked at the JIRAs labeled newbie (http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute) but didn’t
find promising leads.

Thanks for the help!
-Vijay

and/or its affiliates. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the
individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution,
copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material from your computer.