hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@altiscale.com>
Subject Re: Solaris Port
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2014 16:38:43 GMT

On Dec 13, 2014, at 4:05 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> The shell scripts are also undertested and only intermittently maintained
> —there's been recent work there in HADOOP-9902(?)  which is a great
> improvement to trunk. If you can help test the CLI on your OS, that will
> save you support calls.

	That reminds me to file a JIRA for this…

	AFAIK, there is only one thing that I’ve found breaks on modern-ish Solaris/Illumos:  xargs
-P in the ssh handler.  It’s a GNU-extension that I mistakenly thought was POSIX.  It’s
trivially to use the OS check bits to use a non-parallel version of it.  But realistically,
users should just install pdsh instead.  (even if they have a working xargs…)

	It’s been a while since I’ve run all of the shell bits on my Illumos box, so other stuff
may have snuck in since then.